Level 3 Class in Boulder, CO-Learn to Lead a Band!
LEAD A BAND- 3 session (20 hour) class for Experienced Kirtan Leaders!
If you long to share full-band Kirtan events in your community, or rapidly grow your local and regional community, the Level 3 Kirtan Leader class is for you!
This intimate, personal and exclusive program is limited to 6 participants who are serious about leading a Kirtan band. The ratio of students (up to 6) to instructors will offer each participant in this 20 hour training valuable one-on-one attention from a professional Kirtan drummer (Ken Matarazzo) and voice teacher (Dawnia Dresser) and KLI founder Mike Cohen.
In order to be deemed ready for this advanced program, participants are expected to have successfully traversed KLI Levels 1 and 2 via classes, intensives and/or private sessions
Those who are not current Kirtan Leader Institute students can apply via interview/audition with Mike. Email email@example.com to set up a meeting.
Our trainings utilize the proven KLI methodology and unique system for accelerated learning. These programs are 100% dedicated to training YOU as a Kirtan Leader. All participants will need to have a strong base of understanding to participate successfully and get the most out of this class.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
The LEVEL 3 class will help you build the skills and confidence required to LEAD A BAND and guide participants into a deeply transformative experiences through ecstatic chant!
This program is perfect for:
* Experienced harmonium owners who share chants in yoga classes and want to expand into leading full-band Kirtan events.
* New and existing Kirtan Band Leaders who want to expand their local and regional community and ability to create transformative chant experiences.
In this 3 session (20 hour) class you will:
* Learn to lead a band (drummer, response singer and more!) with skill and ease
* Rotate through the roles of Kirtan Leader, response singer and audience in order to gain valuable perspectives on the Kirtan experience
* Grow your capacity to take participants on a potent spiritual/musical/energetic journey.
This class will help you launch and establish yourself as a Kirtan Leader. You will grow through practice, guidance and coaching around:
* Leading a band
* Building your community
* Clarifying, articulating and manifesting your unique Kirtan vision in the world.
You will discover your authentic style as a Kirtan Leader and you will:
* Learn to cue drummers, musicians and response singers in real time
* Be instructed in how to build vibrant communities of musicians, venues, advocates and chant participants
* Build the skills to share this extraordinary practice with the world!
Support faculty include skilled, professional Kirtan drummer Ken Matarazzo, beautiful voice teacher/Kirtan Leader Dawnia Dresser and more. All faculty are dedicated to helping you learn to LEAD A BAND.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN – PART 2
In the domain of MUSIC you will:
* Expand your repertoire
* Build your vocal skills
* Get more out of your harmonium
* Learn to cue your drummer, musicians and response singers so you can lead a band with skill and ease
* Learn how to assemble a tribe of musicians and the key criteria for finding/choosing musicians
In the domain of LEADERSHIP and COMMUNITY BUILDING you will:
* Build communities of chant participants, supporters & venues virtually and in person
* Learn to effectively utilize audio, visual and online technology
* Create full-band community Kirtan events
* Build a public identity as a Kirtan Leader
* Lead groups through transformative chant experiences!
In the domain of BUSINESS and TECHNOLOGY you will:
* Understand the flow of setting up/promoting successful events
* Receive a Draft Contract for Events
* Engage in Strategic/Action planning
* Learn essential information about sound systems and powerpoint projection
You will AVOID:
* Not having skill in cueing and leading your drummer, response singer, band and participants
* Making critical mistakes with musicians, venues and your community of chant participants
* Looking amateurish and making costly mistakes as you grow your public identity and Kirtan community
WHAT: Level 3 Kirtan Leader Class
- Sunday, January 26 (11:30am-5:30pm)
- Sunday, February 23 11:30am-5:30pm)
- Saturday, March 14 (9:30am-4:30pm)
WHERE: Held at Jeanie Manchester’s Anjaneya Yoga Shala – 1480 Violet Ave, Boulder, Colorado 80304. Please park out front and to the West of her house.
COST: Investment for KLI’s 20 hour Lead Your Band program is $450 through January 20 and $525 starting January 21. Register here.
TERMS OF SALE: Customer assumes all risk or danger incidental to the training or event(s), whether occurring prior to, during, or subsequent to, the actual program(s).
NO REFUNDS: All sales are final. No refunds will be granted. However, funds may be applied to future programs.
LIABILITY AND PHOTO/VIDEO RELEASE: I grant permission to Kirtan Leader Institute and Shiva Datta Music, LLC to use any/all photos or videos taken of me, the participant, for any Kirtan Leader Institute and/or Mike Cohen Kirtan event promotional purpose, including but not limited to the website, brochures, Facebook events, newsletter, photographer/videographer owned footage or other promotional items.
HEALTH DISCLAIMER: I certify that I, the participant, have consulted my physician and am in good health and have no physical or other impediment that would endanger me while participating. I hereby acknowledge that I understand all of the risks associated with this activity and knowingly agree to release, indemnify, discharge, waive and relinquish Shiva Datta Music, LLC (or its agents, employees, volunteers or parent companies or affiliates) from any and all liabilities, claims, or actions for personal injury, property damage, or wrongful death which may arise out of my participation.
Got questions? Email Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HIGH TOUCH, HIGH LEARNING
Just as in Dancing with the Stars, or Fantasy Baseball Camp, this Kirtan Leader Class offers you an opportunity to work with professional musicians who are accustomed to performing at large, successful Kirtan events.
Working with professionals will quickly increase your level of development. You will receive ongoing professional support in building your Kirtan skills. This program offers a safe and supportive container, allowing you to continually stay at your learning edge.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
"I wanted to thank you again for the best chanting weekend evah! I loved every minute of it– all the teachers were tops, the participants you drew from around the country, the structure, the content…I had a chanting hangover (in the best possible way). My confidence improved dramatically as a result of the weekend.”
— Amy Lieberman, Yoga Teacher, Kirtan Leader, Health Coach
"I was truly blessed and honored to be part of this intensive. Namaste to all who attended, facilitated and supported this awesome program. This program really gave me made lasting state of gratitude and satisfaction. Highly recommended!"
— John Gorecki, Kirtan Leader
"Mike’s group training program for Kirtan Leaders is deep, powerful and pervasive, and his passion shows through. Mike, thank you for helping me embody a deeper and more transcendent vision for myself and others!”
— David Coddington, small business owner, Kirtan Leader
"Mike has illuminated the practice of leading Kirtan in ways I never could have imagined. I have grown in confidence as a leader, a musician, and as a spiritual practitioner. I’m so grateful for this gift."
— Tim Jordan, Los Angeles, CA
ABOUT MIKE COHEN
Mike Cohen, MA is founder of Kirtan Leader Institute. Since 2010 he has trained and apprenticed hundreds of aspiring and emerging Kirtan Leaders across the globe from total beginners to many he has guided to create/release Kirtan albums, play at festivals and tour nationally.
A life-long musician with 16 years experience developing leaders, Mike created a proven methodology for training and apprenticing Kirtan Leaders based around five relevant domains for leading Kirtan: Musicianship, Leadership, Community Building, Entrepreneurship and Spirituality. Work within these 5 domains helps Kirtan Leaders build skill and confidence in serving others through the ancient/modern practice of sacred chant in the modern West.
Mike has released three critically acclaimed albums, and in 2018 will release new music created with Grammy Award nominated producer Ben Leinbach (Jai Uttal, Krishna Das, Deva Premal). For over a decade, Mike has toured North America, offering accessible and potent Kirtan events in yoga studios, healing centers and at yoga/chant festivals. Mike lives in Boulder, CO where he spends 100% of his time sharing Kirtan and training Kirtan Leaders through his Kirtan Leader Institute. More at www.MikeCohenKirtan.com.
ABOUT DAWNIA DRESSER
Boulder, CO based Dawnia Dresser is an Anusara inspired yoga teacher and lifelong vocalist/musician. During her 19 years in Los Angeles, CA Dawnia co-created three albums of original folk-rock music and contributed extensively on albums and movies as a vocalist and voiceover artist. Dawnia is currently working with renowned Kirtan producer Ben Leinbach (Jai Uttal, Deva Premal) to create an EP of soul-infused mantra music. A graduate of Colorado State University with a degree in music and vocal performance, Dawnia serves as faculty in the Boulder, CO based Kirtan Leader Institute. Her warm heart, clear and caring teaching style and beautiful voice have led her to become a beloved member of the Kirtan community in CO and beyond.
ABOUT KEN MATARAZZO
Ken Matarazzo is a Boulder, CO based performer and teacher who has studied and performed on frame drums and afro cuban percussion since the early 90’s. Some of his teachers include master drummers, Randy Crafton, Layne Redmond and John Amira. Ken has collaborated with diverse artists, such as Jerry Joseph, Layne Redmond, Jim Matus and most recently Kirtan Leader Mike Cohen. Ken currently serves as faculty in the Boulder, CO based Kirtan Leader Institute.